Spices (put aside in small bowl)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt 1 tsp
- 4-5 medium tomatoes, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cans organic chickpeas (400g).
- 7-8cm (3in) ginger, cut into thin strips
- 2-4 green thai bird chillies (or any other fresh chilli), chopped.
- Coriander chopped
- lime or lemon wedges
- Place a saucepan on medium-high heat and add oil and garlic. When the garlic begins to smell fragrant (make sure it doesn’t start to brown), add spices. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chickpeas with the liquid in the can and stir.
- Add diced tomatoes, turn flame to medium-low and cover with lid for 10 minutes and simmer.
- Remove lid, add more salt if needed, and the ginger, then chillies and stir a bit. The dish is done, maybe cook for 1-2 more minutes, take of heat and add coriander.
- Serve with the lime or lemon wedges.
Slice up a cucumber, maybe some yogurt, and serve with one of:
- bread rolls, slice and butter and toast in a frying pan. Don't squish the bread!
- rice (but a bit boring)
- roti! naan! or regular sliced bread. anything goes.
The ginger (and chilli) makes the dish. Don't skimp. And don't burn the garlic! This dish only works with real desi chilli powder.