Kheera and mint raita
cucumber + mint raita
- 1-2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 big cucmber or 2 smallish
- 1-2 cup greek yoghurt (or more, whatever fits in your bowl)
- half a bunch worth of fresh mint leaves, chopped fine
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 chilli, deseeded and cut (optional, cause a good raita isn't spicy, the food is.)
- toast cumin seeds for 3-4 minutes in a hot pan, then grind with a mortar and pestle
- grate half the cucumber and place in a bowl, dice the other half
- add yoghurt, salt, and almost all the mint, cucumber, chilli and cumin and mix well
- sprinkle remaining mint, cucumber, chilli and cumin on top and serve.
Goes well with biryani. Don't use any non-fresh powders in raita, a wise cook once told me. Simple is good. Resist the urge to add more things.