Table of contents.
If a new mac, just copy paste the script below and go, otherwise consider a re-install if on a crusty handmedown.
Do the setup
copy paste this line into terminal on any mac big sur or newer and it will setup and install almost all the things:
sh -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/khalido/dotfiles/master/setup_mac.sh)"
And thats it! After a restart it should be ready to go. The setup script is pretty self explanatory.
The only thing I left out was python, which I'm installing through mambaforge if necessary.
Install the latest macOS (if needed)
If starting with an old mac, I recommend doing a factory reset and installing the latest macOS.
Power on the mac and keep holding down
Option/Alt + Command + R until a spinning globe appears. This boots you into recovery mode and offers to reinstall the latest version of OSX, which for me is Big Sur, with Monterey dropping in late '21.
I had to format the disk before installing as the installer wasn't recognizing it. The eraser defaulted to the old MAC disk format, change that to
AFPS with scheme
GUID Partition Map.
old stuff below
Older notes below, no longer needed as the setup file does all this.
- autohide the dock: Its just a waste of space. No one should be looking or clicking on the dock anyways.
- Don't press, tap! System Preferences > Trackpad > Tap to click
- three finger drag is awesome. Accessibility -> Mouse & Trackpad -> Options -> Enable dragging (choose 3 finger drag)
homebrew aka easy install apps
homebrew installs all the packages.
Install it by pasting this in a terminal:
/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"downloads and installs xcode cli tools and brew.
- Karabiner Elements to modify keyboard shortcuts, in particular make the capslock key into a super key which can launch alred.
- Raycast is a super duper launcher for macos. I remapped capslock to launch it. Even though spotlight is getting better, raycast is faster and lots more configurable.
- Visual Studio code is my cross-platform editor of choice. its awesome.
- Microsoft Teams gotta talk to all the work people.
- Spotify gotten listen to music
- Zoom - video chat service of choice in 2021, even for companies paying tons of money to other companies for video calls!
My script above installs them all in one go.